Tuesday, March 11, 2008

How to overcome stage fright?

When I was at my younger years in school, I could not perform in front of the class nor could I deliver an oral report. It was all because of stage fright, and loss of self-confidence maybe. However, as I go on with my education, especially when I enrolled in medicine, I gradually overcame my stage fright. To know how, read on.

So what is stage fright?


Stage fright or performance anxiety refers to an anxiety, fear or persistent phobia related to performance in front of an audience or camera. This form of anxiety can precede or accompany participation in any activity involving public self-presentation. Wikipedia

How do you know you have stage fright?

Quite often stage fright arises in a mere anticipation of a performance, often long time ahead. It has numerous manifestations: fluttering or pounding heart, tremor in hands and legs, diarrhea, facial nerve tics, dry mouth.

How do you overcome it?

In my own experience, I tried hard before I overcame my stage fright. Here's how I did it:

Before performing or speaking in front of an audience,

1. I practice in front of the mirror, of my sisters or close friends. Practice really makes perfect.

2. I anticipate the possible questions (for my report) and try to answer them - still in front of the mirror. Often times, we get performance anxiety because we are afraid of the questions from the audience. If you have practiced your speech or studied well your report, you shouldn't be afraid of the questions.

3. I volunteer myself to be a speaker for the group. Every time we have a class discussion, where there's a need for a representative, I sometimes volunteer myself. It's one way of exposing myself. More exposure means more practices and gaining more self-confidence.

4. I think positive. Sometimes, we tend to be pessimistic. We are thinking of the worst scenario prior to our delivery of speech or performance. Pessimism adds to our anxiety, thus it should be overcome.

5. I always join group discussions where interaction is a must. This works like practicing myself in front of the mirror or friends.

6. I read tips and books regarding public speaking. Through it, I am learning tips on how to dispel stage fright.

Other helpful posts for overcoming stage fright:

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this informative articles. I agree that by having positive thoughts before a performance would help you overcome your stage fright.

    Aside from that you can also affirm yourself about your skills and abilities. Believe in yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes positive thinking is not enough to cure stage fright. I know this from working with 1000s of people to cure them of the condition.

    Sincerely,

    Michael Goode
    Stage Fright Consultant and Author
    www.trumpetworkspress.com

    ReplyDelete